Mobile Connect in action
From e-commerce, banking and retail, to public sector and parental controls, Mobile Connect is the global identity solution that spans operators, industries and service providers.
China Mobile have firmly established themselves in the digital identity market through a number of commercial applications.
China Mobile sees 99.8% success rate for Mobile Authentication (based on the same technology as Mobile Connect); driving higher usage, gaining richer customer insight, and increasing subscriber revenues.
China Mobile wanted to eliminate barriers to online commerce growth by demonstrating protection of personal data.
- Mobile users in China prioritise the protection of personal data, such as mobile numbers.
- China Mobile sought to reduce subscriber vulnerability to security issues.
- Password re-use commonly leaves users open to data theft or account takeover
With Mobile Authentication, users’ identity is authenticated with no need for usernames or passwords.
- Interoperable solution that provides secure gateway for customers, linking a user’s identity across apps and digital service providers.
- Mobile Authentication provides one-click log-in; delivering seamless authentication for those using the mobile data network and Wi-Fi connection.
- No need to carry an extra device (USB key) making secure authentication easier, whilst providing account take-over protection.
- Smart Link’ allows customers to access their account status and activity in a single step.
450 million daily transactions conducted with confidence and peace of mind.
- A high-grade log-in service providing improved customer experience
- Increased conversion rates.
- China Mobile’s vision is for an interconnected ecosystem where users log-in once; a single log-in for all the services they use.
- Over 1,000 applications are now connected to China Mobile’s Mobile Authentication service – driving 450 million transactions per day, from 62 million users.
- The apps cover multiple industries, including banking, online shopping, computer gaming, insurance, language learning, and air travel.
In the 10 years since entering the market, Turkcell has firmly positioned itself as a global leader in digital identity with its signature solution.
Turkcell improves its customer experience and further differentiates its proposition; adding Mobile Connect to simplify its registration and log-in process.
Ensuring best practice for the log-in process in order to build traffic and active users.
- With mobile identity as a priority since 2007, Turkcell sought to improve, refine and further differentiate its proposition.
- Issues around ease of use and customer awareness led to a continuous journey of process improvement.
- Turkcell wanted to use Mobile Connect to actively develop new services and create additional revenue streams.
Mobile Connect strengthens customer relationships for Turkcell.
- Over time, Turkcell has given more prominence to the Mobile Connect log-in button on its self-care app.
- Transactions were boosted by branding the functionality; now called ‘Fast Login (powered by Mobile Connect)’
- Further success achieved through promoting Fast Login, by offering subscribers 500MB of free data.
- Simple, secure and privacy-protecting authentication, authorisation, and identity services bring benefits to both online businesses and users.
Using mobile identity as a strategic tool.
- Turkcell achieved significant growth in ‘Fast Login’ transactions (through Mobile Connect services) and a four-fold increase in monthly active users, year-on-year.
- Turkcell further expanded the service to external digital service providers.
- When combined with other operator assets such as mobile payment and messaging, Mobile Connect, and mobile identity in general, create a core strategic platform for driving renewed customer relevance and new business opportunities.
O2, Three & Vodafone
Three of the UK’s leading operators enabled Mobile Connect to compare customer information, better understand their audience, and help prevent fraud.
Mobile Identification (a Mobile Connect-based service) goes live in the UK with O2, Three, and Vodafone.
Leveraging the value of operator data in asserting digital identity.
- As the UK government views mobile operator data as a key component of verifying citizens’ identities, O2, Three and Vodafone needed to evaluate the role that mobile devices, SIM cards, networks and subscriber data attributes could play in the emerging digital identity ecosystem.
- The ultimate goal was to prototype a solution that employed operator data to enhance the accuracy and security of data provided by third party identity providers to access government services.
- UK banks have also expressed a strong interest in a dynamic solution to verify the ongoing validity of the mobile number being used to access bank services.
Building an identity ecosystem: technology designed for privacy and security.
- An identity solution based on Mobile Connect enables post-pay customers to use their mobile phone contract details to access UK government’s digital services.
- Private sector companies also experience challenges around verifying a customer’s identity.
- Pilots are underway in the financial services, gaming and gambling sectors, potentially positioning mobile operators as a core component of the identity ecosystem.
The foundations of a compelling commercial proposition.
- Across the three operators, UK market penetration of the solution is now at 67%.
- The operators are considering appointing aggregators to sell the service to third party digital service providers on behalf of all of them.
- Authentication is now on the Mobile Connect roadmap for the UK operators. The EU Payment Services Directive 2 (PSD2) is forcing banks and payment companies to adopt two-factor authentication; authentication could be used as the mechanism to acquire user permission.
- The Mobile Connect authentication proposition can enable them to meet that requirement securely.
Turkcell utilises Mobile Connect as their default log-in option on its self-care app and website.
Users love Mobile Connect: Turkcell satisfaction survey for the new log-in process shows 97% customer enthusiasm.
Turkcell wanted to make it as easy as possible for subscribers to use of its self-care services.
- Mobile customers expect swift and simple processes.
- Three-step authentication on Turkcell’s mobile app and web portal was too complicated. /li>
- Drop-outs from these services were unacceptably high.
Reducing three steps for authentication to just one.
- Mobile Connect delivered a subscriber-friendly solution.
- Turkcell’s default log-on option now offers one-step authentication.
- No email address or password needed; just a single response to a pop-up on the user’s phone.
80% increase in daily registrations.
- 97% of Turkcell subscribers using Mobile Connect now rank ease of use at an average of 4.6 out of 5./li>
- The proportion of subscribers using Mobile Connect as the default log-in has risen eight-fold.
- Daily registrations are up 80% and Turkcell has gained the competitive advantage in Turkey’s mobile user market.
Telefónica deployed Mobile Connect to make it easier for customers to use its online self-care portal, Mi Movistar.
Telefónica Spain shows how operators can adapt Mobile Connect to make it work exactly how they want it to.
Low adoption rates present opportunities to drive increased usage.
- Initial subscriber adoption of Mobile Connect, on Telefónica’s self-care portal Mi Movistar, was lower than expected.
- The service had not been publicised, leading to low subscriber awareness.
- There was also a usability issue; subscribers did not respond well to having to register in advance of using Mobile Connect.
Fine tuning the process to expand its appeal.
- Mobile Connect is simple; a fact that must be reflected in its presentation to subscribers.
- Telefónica streamlined and simplified even further the Mobile Connect registration process.
- A fast-track registration user-flow was introduced.
- Telefónica implemented a multi-channel marketing campaign to raise awareness while simplifying how the functionality was displayed.
Tried, tested, and ready to build business.
- Telefónica Spain has driven adoption of the service and increased traffic on Mi Movistar.
- Registrations to Mobile Connect grew by more than 50% per month.
- Monthly transactions on Mi Movistar increased six-fold over a six-month period./li>
- Telefónica is now collaborating with the other Spanish operators to jointly enable Mobile Connect for other online services from third party digital services providers.
SK Telecom, KT and LG Uplus
SKT, KT and LG Uplus have adopted Mobile Connect to help them drive US$40 million annual revenues.
Everybody wins; 30,000 digital service providers in South Korea have adopted a joint operator proposition for user authentication.
Seeking a mobile identity solution to stimulate inter-operator collaboration.
- To ensure increased digital service provider adoption of its services, SKT, KT and LG Uplus, wanted to create a unified mobile identity solution.
- SKT wanted to extend capabilities of its own mobile identity solution (conforming to Korean regulations for age checking) to protect customers from fraud.
- SKT has its own ‘T-Auth’ solution but, since SKT had 50% of the mobile market, there was reluctance among digital service providers to use a solution which potentially excluded 50% of their customers (non-SKT mobile users)
- The challenge was to find a way for operators to cooperate to deliver one solution to market all customers.
Harnessing the full potential of identity services.
- Together, the operators recognised that identity services did not differentiate one provider from another; and that potential digital service provider partners simply wanted to appeal to all mobile users.
- Now mobile customers no longer need to manually enter their details, regardless of operator; just a simple tap-in of their PIN code.
- The phone number is retrieved from the network, explicit customer permission is obtained, and relevant information can then be shared with service providers.
Stronger together; identity becomes the basis of a robust and profitable business model.
- The cross-operator solution has been adopted by 99% of South Korean websites.
- The smartphone app has streamlined the user experience.
- Monthly transactions grew more than four times faster in the six months after the launch, compared with the previous period.
- Operator revenues have hit US$40 million PA.
- SKT has been able to open up new revenue streams by offering innovative value-added services based on the existence of a broadly accepted and widely-recognised user identification process.
- SKT now plans to expand the concept to customers of operators overseas, with a focus on the East Asia region.
SKT employed Mobile Connect to make it easier for international customers to use SKT’s apps and services.
Integrating existing identity solutions into Mobile Connect to expand the reach of its services to mobile subscribers globally.
How to become a global force in the mobile world
- SKT wanted to make it easier for international customers to use its apps and services.
- A further objective was to increase the appeal of SKT’s authentication solution (T-Auth) and identity solution, T-ID, for global digital services providers.
- This all depended on international interoperability, which is where Mobile Connect comes in.
Expanding reach and applicability of SKT’s universal identity solution, T-ID.
- SKT adapted both T-Auth and T-ID to comply with the Mobile Connect specifications
- Mobile Connect provides SKT with a global authentication initiative.
- The integration of T-ID and T-Auth with Mobile Connect makes it easier for people outside Korea to access SKT’s applications.
SKT can now offer a global solution that benefits from international interoperability.
- Adapting SKT’s existing solutions to Mobile Connect has increased the appeal of T-Auth and T-ID for international digital services providers.
- SKT now plans to leverage the international interoperability offered by Mobile Connect to enable more digital services providers both in Korea and abroad to benefit from its authentication services
- SKT also plans to add authorisation – and ultimately identity – capabilities to its third-party product portfolio to address digital services providers’ demand for more specific use cases
Mobilink (from Pakistan) have deployed Mobile Connect to simplify the user experience on their online self-care portal with a view to increase usage.
Mobilink saw an immediate uplift of 146.8% in registrations on its self-care portal, following Mobile Connect deployment.
Losing appeal to subscribers just by having made it all too complex.
- Cumbersome registration processes; creating subscriber resistance to using the online self-care portal.
- Too much effort in the digital age: email address/phone number verification/PIN/password creation/Captcha code.
- Mobilink sought to solve these problems to provide a quality, hassle-free user experience.
Simplifying the user journey while mainlining the highest security standards.
- Complexity removed from the registration and authentication processes.
- Customers accessing over Wi-Fi now just enter their mobile number and confirm on their phone via USSD.
- Mobilink saw drop-off out rates massively reduced, meaning greater and more frequent engagement with customers.
- From a security perspective, anyone logging in using Mobile Connect is always necessarily in possession of the device; the online portal does not display any personal information which could not be accessed by other means.
Monthly registrations to online self-care portal consistently 79% higher than before Mobile Connect deployment.
- A secure log-in mechanism and a greatly simplified user experience.
- Log-in processes now meet customer expectations in a digital age.
- Mobilink saw immediate 146.8% uplift in the rate of visitors registering on the portal when Mobile Connect was implemented.
- Registrations now run at a consistent 79% higher monthly rate.
América Móvil employed Mobile Connect to unify their user profiles via a single-sing on capability. Mobile Connect maximises the usage of its portfolio of value-added services.
Mobile Connect simplifies the customer experience for América Móvil’s customers; multiple apps brought together through one single action.
How to increase usage of a wide range of value-added services.
- América Móvil provides around 30 apps to mobile and fixed-line subscribers and needed to make it easy for customers to make the connection.
- Repeated sign-ups and sign-ons aggravate customers and limit growth in usage; people simply can’t be bothered.
- The competitive advantage lies in fast inclusiveness and immergence in the América Móvil world.
Remove the complexity; enhance the customer journey.
- América Móvil implemented Mobile Connect as a single sign-on solution.
- The credentials mobile subscribers use when logging into América Móvil’s ‘Mi Telcel’ self-care application can now be used on any América Móvil app
- América Móvil can consolidate subscribers’ various profiles and activity into a single identity.
- Customer behaviour data is enriched, and decisions for service innovation are more reliably informed; a greater understanding of what customers want and where and how they want it.
Increased revenue, instant new revenue streams, and more to come.
- The Mi Telcel self-care portal is now a gateway for mobile subscribers to access and manage the full range of América Móvil apps.
- América Móvil maximises customer uptake of mobile, cable and broadband value-added services by unifying user profiles with Mobile Connect.
- 70 transactions per second, facilitated by Mobile Connect.
- América Móvil intends to integrate all of its services into the new unified framework.